Questions? Call our Recreation Office at 801 629 0695
Swimming lessons are available throughout the summer at Lorin Farr Pool for all skill levels. Private lessons available upon request.
- Lessons are 40min long, once per day, Monday - Thursday for two weeks. (8 lessons total)
- The 8th lesson is a 'test-out' lesson in which the child tests their skills to see if they are ready to move up to the next level.
- There are 6 skill levels, read more about each skill level below. If you are not sure which skill level your child is, please contact us to set up an evaluation. Children placed in the incorrect levels will be moved based on instructor recommendation.
- If your child requires special considerations, please contact us in advance for arrangements.
- Parent & Child: For children 6mo - 3yrs only. Parent participation required.
- Level 1: Water Exploration; enter/exit the water, submerge face, blow bubbles, float on stomach and back, kick, water safety. Best for children 5 and under or children who have very little swimming experience.
- Level 2: Primary Skills; submerge/retrieve objects, float, flutter kick, combine stroke-front & back. For children over 5 who are familiar with water, can hold their breath, and will fully submerge without assistance.
- Level 3: Stroke Readiness; build on Level 2 skills, front/ back crawl, elementary back stroke, tread water, sitting dive. For children over 6 who are very familiar with water, can float unassisted, and willing to jump and be fully submerged. To pass this level, the child must have a strong foundation of the previous skills. Many children will repeat this level before moving on.
- Level 4: Stroke Development; build on Level 3 skills, introduce breaststroke/sidestroke/turns, standing dive. For children over 7 who have mastered the previously listed level's skills.This level is also good for older children who have not had formal lessons, but can perform most of the skills unassisted.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement; combine/refine all strokes; introduce butterfly, open turns, dive from diving board, first-aid skills.
- Level 6: Skill Proficiency: polish skills; increase endurance, rescue skills, spring board dives, first-aid skills.